Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] forced open source

To: <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] forced open source
From: "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:37:16 -0700

> > > Please explain where I can buy a multiplayer version of Civ2 that
runs on
> > > Linux.
> >
> > So the world owes you cross-platform compatibility?  This is a
justification for
> > ripping off a developer's intellectual property?  Just make your own
damn Linux
> > game.  Make it 50% different from Civ or something.
>
> I've purchased Civ, Civ for Windows, CivII, Civ: CTP, and SMAC.
> And your point was???  I've certainly supported those developers.

Ok that's cool, you personally did.  What about others who don't?

>  Truth
> is that I didn't get source or the ability to run it on Solaris so
> that's plenty of motivation for me to support this open source
project.

So the world owes you open source?  This is a justification for ripping
off someone else's intellectual property?

My opinion: if I as the developer *choose* to give you open source, you
can have it.  If I don't choose to do so, then go buy something else
from a competitor if it upsets you so much.  Or make your own game with
your own rules.

Yes, this is basic Capitalism and private property vs. Marxism and the
abolishment of private property.  I've read the Communist Manifesto.
Very insightful as to the historical problems of capital.  Brain-dead as
to the solutions.  As far as I'm concerned, people are entitled to own
and control the means of production.  Intervention and regulation of
ownership is only justified when someone is being harmed.

Additionally, everyone should be given the opportunity by state
education and training to acquire ownership of the means of production.
But if people fail to act on generous opportunities, then that's their
laziness and their fault.

> I think this whole discussion is crazy since the trend is to make
> Freeciv more and more customizable with completely different rulesets
> and many improvements over the commercially available civ genre.

Then, fully recognize the trend: stop calling it Freeciv, and stop
touting it as a clone of Civ.

> P.S. - Good troll.

Yeah, on the Internet I used to be known by my real name, but I got
tired of being accused of being a troll when I was arguing with
intellectual integrity.  So I decided to define myself as a troll.  It
saved hassle.

Cheers,             Infernal Troublemaker                    Troll
Mallor              "By simple mistake, mortals themselves amuse."