Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement

To: Brandon Van Every <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement
From: Todd Goodman <tsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:46:39 -0400

* Brandon Van Every <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [000719 17:37]:
> > > people's stuff and quit being so cheap that you can't cough up $10..$20
> > > for
> the
> > > legitimate work of other game developers.  Sheesh, I bought Civ II: TOT
> > > for
> $20
> > > at full retail!  If you're going to flatter by imitation, you should at
> least
> > > have the integrity to diverge.  *Improve* the Civ genre, don't sit around
> just
> > > cloning.
> >
> > Please explain where I can buy a multiplayer version of Civ2 that runs on
> > Linux.
>
> So the world owes you cross-platform compatibility?  This is a justification
> for
> ripping off a developer's intellectual property?  Just make your own damn
> Linux
> game.  Make it 50% different from Civ or something.

I've purchased Civ, Civ for Windows, CivII, Civ: CTP, and SMAC.
And your point was???  I've certainly supported those developers.  Truth
is that I didn't get source or the ability to run it on Solaris so
that's plenty of motivation for me to support this open source project.

I think this whole discussion is crazy since the trend is to make
Freeciv more and more customizable with completely different rulesets
and many improvements over the commercially available civ genre.

Obviously not everyone sees it as "ripping off a developer's
intellectual property".

Todd

P.S. - Good troll.