Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: forced open source

Subject: [Freeciv] Re: forced open source
From: "SamBC" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 01:26:24 +0100

With a few exceptions, all the developers have. How else do they get
interested, and judge the *compatibility* that is *one* stated goal?

> >  Truth
> > is that I didn't get source or the ability to run it on Solaris so
> > that's plenty of motivation for me to support this open source
> project.
>
> So the world owes you open source?  This is a justification for ripping
> off someone else's intellectual property?
>
> My opinion: if I as the developer *choose* to give you open source, you
> can have it.  If I don't choose to do so, then go buy something else
> from a competitor if it upsets you so much.  Or make your own game with
> your own rules.

And the original Civ/II is not opensource. But freeciv is, it's a different
game, different source and all...

> Yes, this is basic Capitalism and private property vs. Marxism and the
> abolishment of private property.  I've read the Communist Manifesto.
> Very insightful as to the historical problems of capital.  Brain-dead as
> to the solutions.  As far as I'm concerned, people are entitled to own
> and control the means of production.  Intervention and regulation of
> ownership is only justified when someone is being harmed.

And you do not understand the philosophy of opensource!!! We are not all
Marxists, or any kind of Communist - I suppose you enjoyed the McCarthy era?

> Additionally, everyone should be given the opportunity by state
> education and training to acquire ownership of the means of production.
> But if people fail to act on generous opportunities, then that's their
> laziness and their fault.

Relevant how?

> > I think this whole discussion is crazy since the trend is to make
> > Freeciv more and more customizable with completely different rulesets
> > and many improvements over the commercially available civ genre.
>
> Then, fully recognize the trend: stop calling it Freeciv, and stop
> touting it as a clone of Civ.

THERE IS NOTHING REMOTELY FLAWED, LEGALLY OR OTHERWISE, IN THE NAME
FREECIV!!!

> > P.S. - Good troll.
>
> Yeah, on the Internet I used to be known by my real name, but I got
> tired of being accused of being a troll when I was arguing with
> intellectual integrity.  So I decided to define myself as a troll.  It
> saved hassle.

You seem to have the brains, albeit mis-spent, and the talent to be happily
part of the wider communit of which Freeciv is a part. I'm sorry that your
attitude means you miss out

SamBC