Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: forced open source

To: Brandon Van Every <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: forced open source
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 03:34:46 +0200

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 03:37:16PM -0700, Brandon Van Every wrote:
> > I've purchased Civ, Civ for Windows, CivII, Civ: CTP, and SMAC.
> > And your point was???  I've certainly supported those developers.
>
> Ok that's cool, you personally did.  What about others who don't?

They simply don't.
Who cares ?

> >  Truth
> > is that I didn't get source or the ability to run it on Solaris so
> > that's plenty of motivation for me to support this open source project.
>
> So the world owes you open source?  This is a justification for ripping
> off someone else's intellectual property?

World owes me right to write any open source I want.

> My opinion: if I as the developer *choose* to give you open source, you
> can have it.

Ok.

> If I don't choose to do so, then go buy something else
                                      ^^^
:-)

> from a competitor if it upsets you so much.  Or make your own game with
> your own rules.

Or make your own game with more or less similar (even identical) rules.

> Yes, this is basic Capitalism and private property vs. Marxism and the
> abolishment of private property.

What do YOU know about Capitalism vs. Communism ???
Ever lived in Communist country ?
Know anyone who lived in Communist country ?
(please don't say EU ;-))

In Capitalism if someone makes aThing,
you can do either differentThing or theSameThing,
depending on your choice.

In Communism, you usually HAVE to produce differentThing.
( factories didn't interfere with other's production :
  every hammer-factory made hammers of different size etc.)

In IPWorld, if someone makes aCopyrightableProduct,
you can't do theSameCopyrightableProduct, because
of their implicit monopoly.

In IPless, if someone makes aCopylessProduct,
you can do either theSameCopylessProduct
or aDifferentCopylessProduct, depending on your choice.

Did you guess which one is Capitalist and which is Communist ???

> I've read the Communist Manifesto.
> Very insightful as to the historical problems of capital.  Brain-dead as
> to the solutions.  As far as I'm concerned, people are entitled to own
> and control the means of production.

So civII idea is a mean of production ???
Nice idea.

> Intervention and regulation of
> ownership is only justified when someone is being harmed.

So why do you want regulation of ownership over ownerless information ???

> Additionally, everyone should be given the opportunity by state
> education and training to acquire ownership of the means of production.
> But if people fail to act on generous opportunities, then that's their
> laziness and their fault.

State education was one of biggest failure of the world.
Year's programme in most of lower and mid state schools could be made
in one or two weeks, providing you would throw away all the crap.
And many competent people stays in schools, because people
believes to state propaganda that someone without at least BS isn't competent.

> > I think this whole discussion is crazy since the trend is to make
> > Freeciv more and more customizable with completely different rulesets
> > and many improvements over the commercially available civ genre.
>
> Then, fully recognize the trend: stop calling it Freeciv, and stop
> touting it as a clone of Civ.

Lone ``civ'' isn't TM.