Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement

To: Brandon Van Every <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: copyright infringement
From: Robert Brady <robert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:06:23 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Brandon Van Every wrote:

> > Please explain where I can buy a multiplayer version of Civ2 that runs on
> > Linux.
>
>This is a justification for ripping off a developer's intellectual
>property?

a) freeciv is totally legal. perhaps microprose/hasbro could take
   advantage of a flawed legal system and bully it down in the united
   states, but certainly in the united kingdom, they would have to
   pay my legal fees once i won.

b) that was not the point i was addressing. i was addressing the
   defamator "freeciv developers are doing this because they are
   cheap" issue. this is clearly false, and i demand a
   retraction. (especially as many of us actually have bought civ)

c) i find it hard to believe that microprose are unaware of freeciv. if
   they haven't actually sent us threatening letters yet, that means we
   are ok for the moment. when they start sending us threatening letters,
   that is another matter, but we are not about ot unilaterally remove
   freeciv on the grounds that someone thinks it is a bit dodgy.

> Just make your own damn Linux game.  Make it 50% different from Civ or
> something.

Please explain

  (a) how to quantify how different two games are

  (b) if, as you mistakenly insist, game rules were in themself
      copyrightable, why a game with only 50% of the rules would be
      ok, when a game with 100% is false? this is a nonsense.

--
Robert