Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#15809) Remove (ig)tired

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#15809) Remove (ig)tired
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 07:51:03 -0800

> [rhkramer@xxxxxxxxx - Thu Mar 09 18:25:14 2006]:
>
> On Thursday 09 March 2006 09:48 am, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> > We should have rulesets that feel like civ1/2. We are so different
> > ruleswise from civ1/2 anyway that worrying about misfeatures that few
> > noticed is there, and that even fewer will notice is gone, is quite
> > pointless. We should eventually have rulesets that feel like Civ3,
> > SMAC and MoM too, but this does not mean that we can or should attempt
> > to support every quirk of their rules.
>
> I think the tiredness factor (and the potential newbie trap) is OK--it's
> realistic--a unit at the end of a long march probably does have less
> chance to win a battle and it gives the player something to learn.
>
> regards,
> Randy Kramer

IIRC Civ2 gave a popup warning every time you tried to attack with
'tired' units. I suppose that's a sign of this being inherently bad game
design.

On the other hand I'm kind of sad seeing support for 'tired' units
dropped completely. Just like removing "cross settling"; it made a lot
of sense from a game design perspective, but effectively split the
Freeciv community in two.

Would it be very difficult to leave a backwards compatibility server
option for a few versions..?

-Daniel