Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15809) Remove (ig)tired

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15809) Remove (ig)tired
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 06:56:14 -0800

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> About "cross-settling"; IIRC this is a 'feature' of the 1.14 line (and
> possibly earlier) where you got optimal research output when placing
> cities around the capital in the shape of a cross. According to certain
> ppl on the forums, this is one of the main reasons many 1.14 players
> didn't made the jump to 2.0.

So these players managed to find a way to exploit the rules in order to
beat other players, and when we changed the rules so that this exploit no
longer works they refuse to play? Sorry, I just do not sympathise.

As for igtired, having it an option in multiplayer would make it another
way for players to fool other players. Turn it on, others do not notice or
know what it does, and only those players who know play accordingly, while
those who do not will complain to us that the game has "combat bugs", that
a server is "hacked" and so on. Just like they used to. And I think they
would be right to complain.

The only reason to have tired as an option is for civ2 compatibility. And
then for real compatibility we should have a pop up warning too, because
even old civ2 players might forget this obscure rule and think the game is
buggy when their units die inexplicably in combat. Then this popup too
must be an option since it would screw up things in multiplayer. But I do
not think that kind of detailed compatibility is necessary.

  - Per