Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14248) Radar station

To: sayenko@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14248) Radar station
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:20:41 -0700

> [guest - Wed Oct 12 09:23:50 2005]:

> > unfog_city_area can be called
> > more than once because it checks the old vision radius so it only
> > unfogs (or fogs) changed tiles.  Thus all we have to do is call
> > unfog_city_area
> > from time to time and we keep an updated vision range.  There may be
> > minor bugs where the vision isn't updated immediately but it should
> > never get out of sync.
>
> I will modify my patch based on yours. However, having looked briefly
> through your patch I have realized that it contains all the necessary
> modifications for the Radar Station. So, I will test it and submit a
> new building ruleset that uses your effect EFT_CITY_VISION_RADIUS_SQ.

I believe my patch is sufficient to provide all the functionality we
need. As for editing the ruleset, I suggest that rather than add new
buildings you try to add this effect to some existing buildings ("radar"
=> airport).  In MoM the city walls extended the city vision and so did
the Oracle building.

> One small proposal concerning EFT_CITY_VISION_RADIUS_SQ. According to
> the patch, value of EFT_CITY_VISION_RADIUS_SQ is just added to the base
> city diameter. Shouldn't we specify it in percents ? I have noticed
> that most effects in FreeCiv are organized in this way.

No, we shouldn't specify it in percents.  In fact I think we should
specify the base range as part of the effects ruleset!

[effect_base_city_vision]
name    = "City_Vision_Radius_Sq"
value   = 5
; reqs = (none)

and then we can drop the addition of CITY_MAP_RADIUS_SQ in maphand.c.

-jason