Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14248) Radar station

To: sayenko@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14248) Radar station
From: "Guest" <rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 02:23:51 -0700

> This is a patch that should be bug-free.  I reworked the vision system
> significantly.  Now each city has a value pcity-
>server.vision_radius_sq
> that holds the currently unfogged radius.

I had an intention to propose this idea. Indeed, instead of calculating
a city's vision radius every time the vision area should be updated, it
is simpler to keep it in a city's variable

> unfog_city_area can be called
> more than once because it checks the old vision radius so it only
> unfogs (or fogs) changed tiles.  Thus all we have to do is call
> unfog_city_area
> from time to time and we keep an updated vision range.  There may be
> minor bugs where the vision isn't updated immediately but it should
> never get out of sync.

I will modify my patch based on yours. However, having looked briefly
through your patch I have realized that it contains all the necessary
modifications for the Radar Station. So, I will test it and submit a
new building ruleset that uses your effect EFT_CITY_VISION_RADIUS_SQ.

One small proposal concerning EFT_CITY_VISION_RADIUS_SQ. According to
the patch, value of EFT_CITY_VISION_RADIUS_SQ is just added to the base
city diameter. Shouldn't we specify it in percents ? I have noticed
that most effects in FreeCiv are organized in this way.

> With the exception of the data bits I believe this is an exceptionally
> good patch and should be committed shortly.

I will also try to send the picture for the radar station soon.

Sincerely,
Sayenko Alexander