Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2708) patch: backing rectangle for city descriptio

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2708) patch: backing rectangle for city descriptions in gtk2 client
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:23:42 -0800

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 02:02:58PM -0800, Guest wrote:

> > It needs an indicator to show if there are units present or not.
> >

> New mock-up:
> http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~haskjold/freeciv/city_info3.png
>
> Yellow stars show number of units it your own cities and those of your
> allies. Enemy city show larger star for unit present, and none if no
> unit present.

Just a side note: the problem with current city descriptions is, that, if I
switch on all of them, the map is so crowded with (overlapping) text, that I
neither can read the text nor see all my units... Not to speak of some
redraw problems.

So, information is good, but the information that the map gives itself is
rather important, too. This is just a remark, I don't know how your patch
addresses this.

One important point is, that the user can configure it. For this depends
much on the the screen size, tile set, and view the player uses, and the
phase the game is in.

For the flag in the rectangle e.g., I think that it distracts form the city
and unit flags somehow.

Christian