Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2708) patch: backing rectangle for city descriptio

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2708) patch: backing rectangle for city descriptions in gtk2 client
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:25:46 -0800

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:17:24AM -0800, Guest wrote:

> > [chrisk - Thu Mar 10 13:28:04 2005]:
> >

> > There are two flags, on in the city icon and one in the info
> > rectangle. One is enough I think.
> >
> > What do you think of this: integrate the rectangle with the city tile/
> > icon. Just make the icon (configurably) bigger, extending over the
> > tile size. This can reduce the overall space used greatly (I think),
> > avoiding redundance and center the info over the city tile more
> > perfectly.
> >

> I never meant for it to be two flags per city. I drew my mock-up on top
> of an in-game screenshot, thats why it had reduntant city info. Check
> the cleaned-up screenshot, the city information that was outside the
> city rectangle was "left-overs" from the current method of showing it,
> not something I wanted to have in addition to the info rectangle.
>
> What do you mean by city icon? the city gfx itself? Could you make a
> mock-up of what you propose, I have a hard time picturing what you
> propose.

Sorry I should read and look before I write. Your examples in
http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~haskjold/freeciv/city_info3.png look very nice. I
just think there is the danger of overlapping or covering units.

For what I meant is the down right city the best approach. Why does the
rectangle need to be *below* the city? Maybe you can put the info surround
the icon, or, yes, maybe even remove/replace/cover the city gfx itself?

Sorry I'm bad in drawing and low time.

Christian