Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:12:04 -0800

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 01:33:18PM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> > > For dozens of units every turn? It would slow down the game with
> > > micromanagement.
> >
> > How does this differ from the current situation? Moving my units, and some
> > not(pressing space).
>
> If you move a unit from pos(1,1) to pos(7,1) by hand, the number of
> keypresses you would have to do would increase, since now you don't have
> to press space (unit is made inactive when it runs out of movement points,
> and it always does, unless it arrives). If you also are encouraged or
> allowed to try alternative moves when you run out of movepoints for moving
> onto a tile, then the number of keypresses increases even more.

Yes. They increase by 1. But only in these cases. With Goto, you will not
even notice.

> This is a bad thing.

Hhm.

Let's focus on the rules itself. Rule E gives a boost in moves for
single-move units. The other rules gives no or smaller boost but solve the
problem (random moves) as well.

The advantage of rule E is, that we don't have to decide, what should happen
when the unit move points are not sufficient to reach the target tile - they
always are sufficient.

In gameplay, there often are units I put on 'no activity' with the space
key. Not too often of course. So I see no problem with using the space key
some times more.

I see an advantage in the choice of alternative moves, that rules B to D
give. Doesn't this happen mostly in fight situations? It can be an tactical
element: I try to get up that mountain, but if I can't, I'll climb the hill
nearby.

If I'm sure with the target for the unit, I can use Goto.

Christian