Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 05:09:22 -0800

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Now we have 4 possible rules:
>
> Subject: When does a unit reach a tile if act. MP < terrain request?
>

> Rule A (current rule): reach target tile with random chance (act.MP/tile
>       request) percent OR act. MP = full MP
>
> Rule B: reach target only if act. MP >= tile request OR act.MP = full MP
>
> Rule C: reach target only if act. MP >= tile request OR act. MP >= 1 MP
>
> Rule D: reach target if act. MP > (tile request / 2) OR act. MP = full MP

Rule E: reach target if MP > 0

IIRC civ3 uses this, and upon playtesting, I find this the most enjoyable
to play with. I don't need to fuss around with units with left over MP
that can't move. Units get where they should slightly faster, and it makes
using roads and rivers more strategically important.

Rules B-D above suffer from the 'press space to make unit wait until next
turn' problem. We could solve this by auto-'space' it whenever you try to
move onto something that has higher movecost than your MP, but this may
not be to everyone's taste.

(I also noticed that a lot of places in the code the 'a goto will end with
zero MP or reach target or there is a problem' assumption is hardwired.)

  - Per