Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4387) The Return of the Rand() Moves
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 02:13:43 -0800

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 05:09:22AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Rule E: reach target if MP > 0

This is equivalent to 0% threshold in D, above.

> IIRC civ3 uses this, and upon playtesting, I find this the most enjoyable
> to play with. I don't need to fuss around with units with left over MP
> that can't move. Units get where they should slightly faster, and it makes
> using roads and rivers more strategically important.

Maybe this is an improvement, but as you say, it has not a small effect on
the movement and thus on the tactical effects of units, and on balancing
between unit types. We should be a bit careful about this.

> Rules B-D above suffer from the 'press space to make unit wait until next
> turn' problem. We could solve this by auto-'space' it whenever you try to
> move onto something that has higher movecost than your MP, but this may
> not be to everyone's taste.

Is this a big problem? I try moving the unit in different directions and see
whether the unit makes it or not. If it doesn't, I take another choice or
press space. I think this is good - the user has the choice, and its
transparent, it is even possibly to know (compute) the success of the move,
before you try it, which let me think that this should be client implemented
(at least some pre-decision), so that is is does not need network interaction
(in all cases) and gives faster play in online games.

Christian