Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9596) Better nation selection

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9596) Better nation selection
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 01:34:29 -0800

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 01:00:41PM -0800, Mateusz Stefek wrote:

> - It is stupid that Greeks are 'historical' they should be 'historical'
> and 'modern' at least
> - Some people are offended when we call their nation 'historical' just
> because they don't have an independent country.

Please note, that 'historical' and 'modern' are not characteristics of the
nation, but of the ruleset.

When creating a ruleset, people make the distiction whether to write one for
the historical nation, which refers to a time in history where that nation -
or a nation with this name - has had its 'great' time, or for the modern
nation, which refers to an existing state (according to UN I might think).

This has great influence on the selection of cities in the ruleset (at
least). In the past, we've had some serious discussions about this point,
because people tend to complain bitterly, that another nation has the cities
of their own nation in the ruleset. The reason in these cases are (nowadays)
that the ruleset is for the historical nation.

Having said this, I don't think it is a good idea to mix historical and
modern groups, i.e. put a nation.ruleset into both of them.

Christian