Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12266) patch: supporting variable numbers of trade rou

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12266) patch: supporting variable numbers of trade routes
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:18:28 -0800

> [jdorje - Wed Feb 16 02:25:48 2005]:
> While I'm all in favor of removing hard-coded limits, I think trade
> routes are themselves an unfortunate form of micromanagement that needs
> to be rethought.

By the way, I figure I should put in a plug for caravans, which
do allow for a more civilian strategy than just building military
units for taking over the world.  For a medium-sized civ, one
caravan establishing a trade route is worth about the same as
the entire turn's economic output.  In a short all-AI game, this
means you can get lots of tech => lots of points, maintaining
just a defensive force.  I have no experience playing humans.

With automatic trade routes for free, we'd reduce that non-military
incentive.