Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12266) patch: supporting variable numbers of trade

To: bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12266) patch: supporting variable numbers of trade routes
From: "Brian Dunstan" <bdunstan149@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:34:14 -0800

--- Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Brian Dunstan wrote:
> >

> > Could the addition of 'auto-caravan' automation
> > (similar to auto-settler) reduce this
> micromanagement?
>
> Bringing in an AI to automate micromanagement is the
> wrong idea.  See
> http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Per_on_rules.  This
> applies to
> auto-settlers and CM as well.

Here's an idea: any rule feature that can be handled
perfectly by a simple AI, should be removed.  The
current caravan rules are ones where it is simple to
see how the AI could build caravans in large cities,
calculate the optimal destinations, etc.

If it is very difficult to make an AI do an acceptable
job at handling some task, maybe that ask is worth
keeping in the game.  Humans that use automation will
be doing so only because they cannot spare the time to
do the job correctly.

> * It should also be possible to divert the entire
> production of a city
> to another city, or even to merge them into one
> functional unit.  This
> should solve late-game micromanagement that comes
> from having many cities.
>
> -jason

The most balanced game in this respect I have played
is Master of Magic -- I think their solution of
requiring cities to be far from one another, and
having to grow to a large size to be really useful, is
a good one.