Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies
From: "Marcelo Burda" <NOSPAM_mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:49:38 -0800

Le dim 22/02/2004 à 17:10, Jason Short a écrit :

> Marcelo Burda wrote:
>
> >>Consider also that the extended topologies come in several forms.  For
> >>instance an offset-wrap as I describe it above will probably not take
> >>much work to implement, but gives only a small advantage over the
> >>current torus wrapping.  A quincuncial wrapping will take a fair amount
> >>of work to implement.  It is of high theoretical interest (how many
> >>hours have we spent discussing approximations of a sphere?) but its
> >>playability hasn't been determined.  People need to _play_ this thing
> >>before we can assess it.
> >
> > the last quincuntial is realy playable topo. i need correct some
> > reversed-canvas isues and a litle extention of overview. it is not so
> > easy as a torus or a mobius(twisted torus) but kep moderatly easy after
> > some games. And it is the best aproximation of a sphere!
>
> I played your Earth scenario with it.  I never saw the singularities.
> But the map was so large (with so much ocean) it was basically like an
> unwrapped map.  Damn the Pacific is big!
>
> jason

Yes, real pacific ocean is big, i am reduced it a litle croping some of
south pole  but it is a real Eart map in conformal-projection (preserved
shapes). play with a generated map to go to singularities, in a big map,
this is not easy to find!.

After endgame you can see all the map, but clasic Pierce-Quincuntial is
choiced to avoid the singularities, the mos viewable is near africa and
india.

i force ocean or poles in singularities in random generated maps. but
you can see the Pierce-Quincuntial topologies is like a flat
projection  far of singularities and like a conical projection near
singularities. this is some dificult to see.

Notes: you never see a topological singularity! this is not a object!,
but if you navigate near afica and india you can undestand.

and yes it like a unwraped one, this make easy to play at first time.
this is very fun. then player undestand wraping an can navigate from
south to noth america or to autralia. or to oceanics island.

today I am updating the quincuntial patch.
--