Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies
From: "Marcelo Burda" <NOSPAM_mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:27:08 -0800

Le lun 23/02/2004 à 17:37, rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

> Just for amusement's sake, here is a recipe to make a map of real Earth
> in a torus. The projection to the 2-D torus-world surface is thus an
> easy second step.
>
> 1)  Take a spherical Earth and stick a straw through the N-S polar axis.
>
> 2)  Widen the diameter of the straw stretching all the latitudinal lines
>      correspondingly to maintain the hemispherical property of longitudinal
>      cuts. Once the straw diameter is greater than the original diameter
>      of the sphere you have a half-torus, namely the outer half.
>
> 3)  Reflect the half torus through the cylinder walls of the straw and
>      rotate the inner half torus by 180 degrees.
>
> Voila, one has a torus with a map of the real Earth.
>

> Note, a normal set is represented by a half torus, and there are two
> normal sets in a super-tile that contains the entire torus surface.
>
> When one maps this to a 2-D torus-world, one usually does a standard
> Mercator projection, i.e. stretch the latitudinal lines as one moves to
> the poles, but shrink the longitudinal direction correspondingly to
> preserve constant area of any square patch. A cut along any longitudinal
> line allows one to peel and flatten the map out onto a 2-D plane.
>
> Cheers,
> RossW
> =====
>
> Marcelo Burda wrote:

> [...]
> > Yes torus is easy, but not sphere like!
> > Can you make a map of real Earth in a torus? no.
> > Can you make a map of Earth in quincuntial? Yes.
> > Yes quicuntial is a litle harder to code. but i am coded it, pleas help
> > me to make it easy to undestand.
> [...]
> > Marcelo.

Ok, i need refulmulate the question!
Can you make a good map?

You make a nice map-art but in you torus you create N europa! N america
etc. etc.
in a sphere there are One Europa, etc, etc.

Sorry, but torus can not canverted in sphere. there are not
equals(homéomorphes) topologies(math). Torus has a hole, sphere not!!!
(in math we separate the orineted clossed surfaces by the numbers of
holes: a sphere is a 0-Torus of R³, the torus is a 1-Torus of R³, there
are 2-Torus,etc. there are not equals!)

If you make not single projection from sphere to torus. you can map over
any object. But this is not the some Topology(math).

To call 2 topologies equals you need at last find a single relation
point by point.(homéomorphisme)

This is wrong to thinck you can assimilate 4-Quincutial map to One torus
and say that is equals. in 4-Quincuntial map you See 4 time all units!!

Torus(or twisted torus) are A clossed 2D space, sphere are a Clossed 2D
space! that is ok
But there are not equals!!!!!!!
there are not 1-1 point projection.

Quincuntial is A clossed 2D space and there are a 1-1 point
projection(and conformal) exept for 4 points. this is the best way to
project the sphere in a FLATE 2D if you like a clossed 2D space.

Why quincuntial as 4 singularitie? The sphere surface are not Flat, and
the Quincuntials surface are flat. This is compensated in the 4
singularities.

Best regards
--