Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:51:53 -0800

There is some past discussion about this between myself and Renier in
the lists.

I actually like the idea of taking any map grid that one can view
as having concentric rings (emanating from a pole). If you take two
of these and stick them back to back together along the equator you
get pretty much the model you describe below. Works for square, hex
and many other tile shapes.

One can go further and cut and unfold either side so that it extends
as a trigangle outwards from the equatorial edge to see all at the
same time and get a feel for the problems at the points where there
are singularities like with quincunxes.

The problem is that there is no easy way to deal with the singularities
and the cuts which have half a tile on each side. These singularities
arise because the residual distortion that the flattening causes, all
gets lumped at the corners.

Also, it would be really nice to be able to scroll across the equator
and have it look no different than any other latitudinal line. This is
really tough.

But one advantage with this is that the hemispheres are symmetrical
and the distances are pretty accurate compared to normal stretched maps.

Cheers,
RossW
=====

Morgan Jones wrote:
[...]
> Anyway, what I'm wondering (at the risk of making everything far too
> complicated) is why not have two seperate maps for each hemisphere?
> There would be a 1:1 join along the seam at the equator and from a 2d
> GUI POV this would look seemless if the code was up to it.
>
> I guess it would be sort of like having two cones stuck together.
[...]