Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:06:40 -0800

rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I actually like the idea of taking any map grid that one can view
> as having concentric rings (emanating from a pole). If you take two
> of these and stick them back to back together along the equator you
> get pretty much the model you describe below. Works for square, hex
> and many other tile shapes.

No, it doesn't work for hexagons.  It will only work for triangles and
squares because only these have an even number of tiles meeting at each
corner.  And for triangles it would really suck.

Consider
    _______
   /G     H\
  /         \
/L         I\_______
\           /?     ?\
  \         /         \
   \K_____J/?         ?\
   /A     B\           /
   \E_____D/

where ABCDEF and GHIJKL are the two hexagons you are putting
back-to-back.  If you're going to tile the map, what values are you
going to put in the ? places above?  Answer: none are possible.

Note that if you do this with a square you'll get a quincuncial-2 topology.

jason