Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:18:22 -0800

rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thus for a Flatearth map, the quincunx is fine, but for a tiled map, aka
> torus-world in 2-D, this doesn't work. And teaching an 11-year old that
> S. America is due west of N. America is not a particularly good way to
> advertise the value in the game - in fact it is a very bad one.

I don't think you understand the concept of the quincunx.  If you take
the same projection and make it flat-earth you don't have a quincunx,
you just have a flat earth.  The point of the quincunx is that it IS a
spherical topology.  There are no edges.  Go back to the original
concept of two square pieces of cloth sewn together back-to-back - THIS
is a quincunx.  If you unfold the cloth you still have to remember where
it was connected originally and impose wrappings at this point.

This is why a hexagon won't work for this.  You can sew it together
back-to-back, but when you unfold it there's no way to get the wrappings
right in 2d.  Your idea of unfolding it and leaving it unwrappped is not
the same thing at all.

jason