Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:54:15 -0800

Marcelo Burda wrote:

> Le mar 24/02/2004 à 05:06, Jason Short a écrit :

>>rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>>I actually like the idea of taking any map grid that one can view
>>>as having concentric rings (emanating from a pole). If you take two
>>>of these and stick them back to back together along the equator you
>>>get pretty much the model you describe below. Works for square, hex
>>>and many other tile shapes.
>>
>>No, it doesn't work for hexagons.  It will only work for triangles and
>>squares because only these have an even number of tiles meeting at each
>>corner.  And for triangles it would really suck.
>>
>>Consider
>>    _______
>>   /G     H\
>>  /         \
>>/L         I\_______
>>\           /?     ?\
>>  \         /         \
>>   \K_____J/?         ?\
>>   /A     B\           /
>>  /         \         /
>>/F         C\?_____?/
>>\           /
>>  \         /
>>   \E_____D/
>

>     _______
>    /G     H\d
>   /         \
>  /L         I\c___
>  \           /c
>   \         /?
>    \K_____J/b
>    /A     B\j
>   /         \?
>  /F         C\i____
>  \           /i
>   \         /
>    \E_____D/h
>    /g     h\
>
> after quaring it a litle
>
> e...h
> |   |
> G...H-d
> L...I-c
> K...J-b
> A...B-j
> F...C-i
> E...D-h
>
> this is a simplest y wraps and a reversed x wraps.
>
> exact te some wraping as in quincutial on a rec for the canonical map
>
> But you can't tile it on the space with the shape of hex. zones as ??
> are viewed in 2 diff way from side I-J and from side C-B
[...]

I agree, and think we both said much the same thing.

I think that tiling is the additional operation that Jason is adding into
his requirements, which is nice but not necessary, and not something
considered in the original model above.

I suspect that only the square tile shape permits tiling in 2-D as Jason
would like, and since this is the quincunx model, it is the only one
that can produce a nice 2-D tiled map. Can anyone confirm this?

But if one wants to use quincunx for tiling, then even more so, problems
with the mismatch to Freeciv game mechanics and normal intuition need to
be properly addressed.

On the otherhand, if one wants to expand Freeciv to other grid types,
then considering non-tiled models is going to become more important. And
the generic codebase will have to support this.

Cheers,
RossW
=====