Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies
From: "Marcelo Burda" <NOSPAM_mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:50:53 -0800

Le ven 20/02/2004 à 00:35, Jason Short a écrit :

> Marcelo Burda wrote:
> >
> > Le jeu 19/02/2004 à 22:48, Jason Short a écrit :

> >>Next, I'm not happy with the xsize/ysize/size/ratio setup.  If you
> >>change the xsize nothing happens, and you can't figure out why.  At a
> >>minimum the user needs an error message here.  (This is also something
> >>that should be its own patch.  I'm not convinced that we need this.)
> >
> > me too
> > i thinck the best is no more set xsize and ysize directly but only
> > ratio and size.
> > this way init_topo make maps whit desired ratio and size but make good
> > xsize and ysize for all topologies, some topo need even numer on
> > [xy]size and some times ysize need to be ysize % 4 == 0.
> > this is the work of init_topo and set_ratio in map.c
>

> That sounds okay to me.  But the granularity of the 'size' variable
> needs to be smaller.  Also we must be careful not to have values too
> high (map positions < 255).

is donned!
> >>The topology_id isn't fully explained (in "help topology").  What are
> >>topologies 5-15?  Why don't we have 22-31?
> >
> > the problems is you kep ISO-map option in topology_id, iso-map need to
> > be a separate option an not a bit flags of topology_id.
> > for me topology_id is a list of selected topologies, first the
> > cartographicals ones(flat, cylinder,quincuntial) then some ScFi(exotics)
> > ones Torus,Mobius, etc.
> > but the ISO_FLAG break it
>
> It's just another bit; it shouldn't break anything.  Just make sure you
> use appropriate masks.  We may later add a HEX_FLAG for hexagonal tiles.
> - this will probably go into the same bitfield.
>
> I'm not opposed to making these all separate values, but we decided
> before not to do it that way.

Some things are best as flags others as index. topology_id is a good
name for the last usages, i propose a separate topology_options
HEX_FLAGS and ISO are one type of topology flags, this modifie the
neghiboard realtion of tiles. this 2 flags are good for topology_options
and can be used with all of wraping-topologies indexed in topology_id.

--