Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:29:08 -0800

Marcelo should provide a proper writeup explaining a lot of the coding
tidbits like the ratios and the changes to current practices, or at least
beef up the local code commentary.

For the most part the patch needs a lot more work in such areas so that
a reviewer can actually understand the logic as opposed to implementation.
I started to write review comments, and then realized it would amount to
a rejection of just about every line as being incomprehensible or breaking
any number of current practices. His implementation seems different merely
for the sake of being different in some spots, and that needs to be reversed.

For example, I think the breakup of normalize_map_pos() into virtual
functions has completely masked the concept of what a normal set is and how
this function deals with it. It is now a random collection of wrapping
optimizations that have no clear relationships between them.

The wrapping extensions are good though. They just need to be thought
through from a more generalized perspective and documented as ways to
do the same basic operation, but with different outcomes and
implications. The pictographic layout of tile relationships that this
produces would be a good start to making the sell, for instance.

Cheers,
RossW
=====