Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7287) Extended Topologies
From: "Marcelo Burda" <NOSPAM_mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:16:05 -0800

Le jeu 19/02/2004 à 22:48, Jason Short a écrit :

> Next, I'm not happy with the xsize/ysize/size/ratio setup.  If you
> change the xsize nothing happens, and you can't figure out why.  At a
> minimum the user needs an error message here.  (This is also something
> that should be its own patch.  I'm not convinced that we need this.)
me too
i thinck the best is no more set xsize and ysize directly but only
ratio and size.
this way init_topo make maps whit desired ratio and size but make good
xsize and ysize for all topologies, some topo need even numer on
[xy]size and some times ysize need to be ysize % 4 == 0.
this is the work of init_topo and set_ratio in map.c

> The topology_id isn't fully explained (in "help topology").  What are
> topologies 5-15?  Why don't we have 22-31?

the problems is you kep ISO-map option in topology_id, iso-map need to
be a separate option an not a bit flags of topology_id.
for me topology_id is a list of selected topologies, first the
cartographicals ones(flat, cylinder,quincuntial) then some ScFi(exotics)
ones Torus,Mobius, etc.
but the ISO_FLAG break it

> I'd like to set up the topology_id as a combination of bitfields:
>
> Xwrap: 2 bits, 4 values:
> Ywrap: 2 bits, 4 values:
>   NONE, SIMPLEST, MOBIUS, REVERSED
> iso: 1 bit
>
> This is similar to what you have (I think), but the bit order is different.

this is problematic, this make a big number of topo where some are
uniteresting.

MOBIUS is maked as offset wraps combined to simplest wraps
but all others topos maked with offset wraps are realy bads!

REVERSE-SIMPLEST SIMPLEST-REVERSED and REVERSED-REVERSED WRAPS
combinings are QUINCUNTIAL TOPOS, we only need one of this not 3!

NONE-SIMPLEST and SIMPLEST-NONE are the classical and the uranus( a
classica one too rotated 90°)

and more and more

it this best to limit the list to a selected set of topos.

> so we end up with 32 different topologies (as you have).

the list of realy interesting topos are short:
-cartographicals-
flat
cylindrical(classic)
quincuntial
-exotics-ScFi-
torus
mobius
spin probably too

make a clima_function for generators to all 32 way to combine are a hard
work for only 6 reals topos!!

See in HACKING doc
> Finally, examples.  The biggest problem we have is convincing people
> that we should provide these topologies.  The biggest selling point will
> probably be the quincunx topologies, which make a good approximation of
> a sphere.  But I can't figure out how to turn your earth scenario into a
> quincuncial earth,
the scenario need only good wraps to work fine as quincuntial.

>  since I don't know what the topology values are.
i not undestand you!

if you like play it for see you need instal Extended Topologie Patch And
Quincuntial patch in a litle old cvs version (patch no more compile in
the latest)
from a 21-jan-cvs
patch first ExtendedTopologies.V2.01.diff from (#7287)
then patch ExtendedTopologies.V3.01.diff from (#6721)
and you can play the scenario(#7295) with quincutial topo with -t
trident

--