[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS

To: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS
From: "raven@xxxxxxxxx" <raven@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 05:18:43 -0800

>>Oh, and gold upkeep is one civ3 feature that really does make bigpox
>>feasible. Maintaining a large army with a handful of cities is close to
>>impossible at present.
>>

>And if it's done only for certain governments (like republic or
>democracy), it may even sometimes be worth it to change the
>government.

Well, there's gold upkeep for units, and there's also nationalization of
upkeep for units.  I like the nationalization in in Civ3.  Maybe these
two things could be tied to governments, or maybe they could be tied to
a tech, like, add "Nationalization" to the tech tree somewhere, and when
you get it you don't have to worry about where a unit is from anymore,
or something.  That could be a useful way to do it, if placed in a good
spot in the time-line, right about when people really start being able
to afford lots of units.  On the other hand, nationalized unit upkeep
also means one big production city could produce lots of units, without
building up the rest of you cities.  Then again, you can already do this
by reassigning home-city, it's just a pain in the ass.

--Zack