[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [SPAM] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS

To: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [SPAM] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS
From: "raven@xxxxxxxxx" <raven@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 04:53:24 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

>I still think we can solve ICS,
>smallpox and city-improvements-are-worthless using the tools we have today
>and general effects.

That reminds me of another thing:   Another reason city improvements are
worthless, is that there's a wonder that does the same job as most of
them without any upkeep and usually for cheaper (I'm talking wonders
with national effect, in a decent sized empire).  If you can get the
wonder, that's great for you, and you don't need the improvements.  If
you can't get the wonder, you're fucked and the improvements are too
expencive to bother with.  I've mentioned a couple times that I wish the
buildings.rulesets worked a bit better when it comes to editing wonders
(and I've been told that's in the works), but even just as a much
simpler thing, I think a single server option for turning all the
wonders on or off would be great.

>>This isn't the ONE solution. There are other solutions:
>>

>My prefered solution is (again) to make city improvements necessary.
>Increase research cost, gold upkeep and other costs, and then
>significantly increase the benefits of city improvements. This way you
>will not be able to afford to run rampant smallpox.

Yeah, I'd agree.  I think an important addition to that would be
Arnstien's note about improving defense and lowering the power of ships
in the early game.

> ICS can be balanced by
>more aggressive use of corruption and waste from number of cities. (Note
>that our civ2 ruleset has more aggressive corruption and waste than
>default.)

Yes, and perhaps how to use those effectively, would not be to make them
so devestating and overbaring as Civ3.   For instance, say small cities
didn't have such bad corruption and waste, so they wouldn't be
completely stagnant, you could build things there.  But, that would
again give the advantage to small cities, so to counter that, we'd have
to make small cities nearly useless.  Ie, you have to grow big cities to
get noteworthy trade and production out of them, but would have to build
some basic improvements to get them to grow at all.  Also, we'd need to
get rid of the ability to just grow out, boost your lux in Rep/Dem and
suddenly 4x your population.

Just a thought, I'll refine it when I'm not as sleep-deprived.  This
would need to be carefully done - the empire building of the slow game
is fun cause it's about needing to balance everything just right to
succeed, if it's really just jumping through monotonous, repeditive
hoops of prerequisits I'd rather just go to college.  ;-)

I guess a better way to put it is; largepoxers/empire builders/the
people who want improvements to matter, want building the empire to be
the main chalange.  Make building a robust, stable, powerful empire a
creative chalange, culminating in the ability to put your industrial
super-power status into smiting your enimies (which should also be a
chalange) and you've succeeded in making the game be what I think the
largepoxers are aiming for (by which I really mean, I would -love- it,
and so I presume that it's what other people are looking for too.)
Corruption and waste need to be limiting factors requiring some finesse
to overcome, rather than just un-beatable, or overcomable only through
predictable busywork.

>If advanced units in Freeciv required advanced city improvements, players
>would just have to build up their cities.

Yes!  This doesn't seem like just some annoying limitation to me.  Right
now in freeciv, you've basically got Podunk Nowhere Farming Town putting
it's 2 units of generic production into a project for 40 turns, and bam,
you've got a modern Cruiser unit.  Enough podunk nowhere towns and
you've got a huge navy, without any actual industrial base.  Talk about
lacking realisticness.  Require Factories to build modern ground troops,
Manufacturing Plants to build Armor and Howitzers, a Harbor to build any
Sea unit, a Port Facility to build any sea unit more modern than a
Frigate, etc, take into account the exorbitant maintenance cost for
those city improvements, and suddenly an industrial base and therefore
ecconomic base and big cities, is vital to wining the game.

Add to that no wonders, turn off the ability to explode your population
with lux, make rushing production with cash much harder, set diplchance
to 10, make cities 3x as hard to conquer, and you've got a hell of a game.

--Zack