[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [SPAM] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [SPAM] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 12:12:14 -0800

From: raven@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:raven@xxxxxxxxx]
> I think a single server option for turning all the
> wonders on or off would be great.

I've played plenty of games of SMAC on "Transcend" difficulty where I never had
any time to build Wonders at all.  It's not a big deal in a single player game.
 Generally speaking, AIs are too stupid to beat you.  If you want the Wonders
they've built, hey, go conquer the city it was built in!

Multiplayer Civ is a completely different game.  There, you either like the
"build the Wonders first" game mechanic or you don't.  Generally when someone
beats you to creating Wonder A, you finish Wonder B instead.  If you don't like
building Wonders at all, and wish nobody would ever do that... well, you either
need a Wonder-disruption strategy, or a server switch like you suggested.

> Also, we'd need to
> get rid of the ability to just grow out, boost your lux in
> Rep/Dem and suddenly 4x your population.

It's not a realistic game feature... but it's definitely more fun than sitting
around waiting forever for cities to get bigger.  This particular game mechanic
solves certain problems of tedium, it makes Largepox possible.  Are you certain
you want to dispense with it just because it isn't realistic?

Realistically, if a nation spends its national treasury on Luxuries, you're
really talking about the rich and powerful lining their own pockets.  You
shouldn't be getting UberSweden from this.  You should be getting the Roman
Empire, Louis XVII, and the typical Third World junta.  Maybe this is a problem
of definitions.  Is the budget for "Luxuries" or for "Social Services?"

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every