[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS (was: allies give all their tec

To: vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7021) fighting ICS (was: allies give all their techs for nothing)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 04:03:14 -0800

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Arnstein Lindgard wrote:
> > - increasing tech costs with every city (mine, mine! ;) I could even
> > write a patch, I believe.)
>
> Uhm.. counter-intuitive? Realism?

Yes, I think this is a rule that is very hard to 'get' for players.

> > - making certain improvements required for building certain units
> > (implemented even) and resarching certain techs,
>
> Does not give incentive to grow vertically. Does not prevent
> warmongering with normal units.

More buildings => more upkeep. The only way to produce any significant
amount of gold should be bigger cities.

> > - no free citycentre production anymore,
>
> Seems very petty.

Mike Jing tried this and said it didn't work. Cannot remember exactly why,
but I would guess it would slow the game down incredibly.

> > - patriotism (#6375),
>
> Nah, an empty city is an emty city is an empty city. I didn't like
> that one. Better implement Civ3 conscription understrength units
> taken from population. But you would have to take an action.

Patriotism would make smallpox _better_, since you no longer have to worry
about building defenders! In particular if units have global costs like
gold upkeep.

Oh, and gold upkeep is one civ3 feature that really does make bigpox
feasible. Maintaining a large army with a handful of cities is close to
impossible at present.

  - Per