[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] rfc: autoattack

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] rfc: autoattack
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 04:37:49 -0800 (PST)

--- Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Raahul Kumar wrote:
>
> > And sea units can very easily avoid being attacked by just staying away
> from city squares and anywhere else CCAH units can be found. They also become
> immune if stacked with aircraft!
>
> The underlying controversy is that this change, if implemented, will
> dramatically change the game.  How exactly things will change can only
> be guessed at.
>
> For instance, exploiting the bug whereby air units can guard ground
> units against other ground units will probably become a prime strategy.
>   IMO this is a very bad thing (good thing we were discussing how to fix
> that just the other day).

I disagree. Currently air units are surprisingly useless. Talk to Greg about
details, but I suspect you already know. How many air units have you ever built
in multiplay Jason? Singleplay?

Next is your claim that air units guarding ground units is a "bug". You know
better than that. Until a future layer patch(I'm working on it) is accepted,
air units will always prevent the units they are stacked with from being
attacked. Except by fighter units.

And in real life, always a dangerous argument to pull ; ), aircraft make all
the difference. They actually prevent sea and ground based units from moving
freely if one side has air superiority. I refer you to all wars after WW II for
examples. So the current Freeciv feature makes some sense. What doesn't make
sense is the lack of Anti Aircraft units, but I didn't make that decision.

That is a feature. Talk to Davide to learn more than you ever wanted to know,
but this is a Civ 2 ism. I hate to sound Microsoft, but this is a feature, not
a bug. And current games have this anyway. It only becomes more important if
Per's autoattack goes through.

Aloha,
RK.

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in
anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in
anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not
believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it
and live up to it. -Buddha