[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] rfc: autoattack

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] rfc: autoattack
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:47:33 +0100

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 04:37:49AM -0800, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Raahul Kumar wrote:
> >
> > > And sea units can very easily avoid being attacked by just staying away
> > from city squares and anywhere else CCAH units can be found. They also
> > become
> > immune if stacked with aircraft!
> >
> > The underlying controversy is that this change, if implemented, will
> > dramatically change the game.  How exactly things will change can only
> > be guessed at.
> >
> > For instance, exploiting the bug whereby air units can guard ground
> > units against other ground units will probably become a prime strategy.
> >   IMO this is a very bad thing (good thing we were discussing how to fix
> > that just the other day).
>
> I disagree. Currently air units are surprisingly useless. Talk to Greg about
> details, but I suspect you already know. How many air units have you ever
> built
> in multiplay Jason? Singleplay?

You forget that air units come late in the game and that this changes
also affect the ealry and mid game.

I agree that it is nice to enhance the air units to be in more
similarity with the reality. However there are other ways (the layers
for example) which doesn't affect (someone may say unbalance) the
whole game in such a drastic way.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx