[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] rfc: autoattack

To: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] rfc: autoattack
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:49:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> But yes, even this autoattack is deadly. Too deadly...  It obsoletes
> defenders, really.

That is what I was asking myself, too. But I suppose this is what good
players do anyway, only they do it by an amazing feat of micromanagement
instead of server code ;) Right, pille?

Also, defenders are not obsoleted. To the contrary, now even the most
experienced micromanagement wizard has to use defenders - to bodyguard his
attack units.

> Especially if Raahul's sea bombardment is added.

I don't like it much anyway... it gives too much power to CCA&H (Catapult,
Cannon, Artillery and Howitzer), and combined with autoattack it becomes
unbalancing as you can defend against both ground and sea with one
relatively cheap unit. (Bomber and stealth bomber can do this now, but
they are much more expensive.)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> Hehe. A unit and its bodyguard can't be moved atomic. If the
> bodyguared unit moves first the moving player loose.

Then don't. Move the bodyguard first - that way you don't risk losing your
charge when autoattack resolves. If you move them in one atomic operation,
you lose both.

  - Per