[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] AI can fly

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] AI can fly
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 21:10:42 -0800 (PST)

--- Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > > Bad. Airports and ports are very expensive to upkeep. If the AI should
> start
> > > building them everywhere it's going to run out of cash. Some sort of
> revenue
> > > count thing should be done so we don't keep building improvements if we
> are
> > > running a deficit.
> >
> > Suggestion: How about only building airports in cities that are not near
> > water? This would limit it somewhat, and it wouldn't get in conflict with
> > ship building.
>
> interesting...
> there are problems, of course, like what if the city is on an inner lake.
> but that doesn't happen that often.
>
> I was thinking more in the direction of "global air force command", which
> would try to build planes not in the city that requested it but in the
> city next to it that's got airport.  and also limiting number of aircraft
> built at a time.  and also coordinating paratroopers building.  after all,
> air warfare is something intrisicly global, much more than earlier
> chariot-vs-phalanx stuff, where you can afford considering each city
> independently...
>
> > > Greg, you might want to consider using allied cities.
> >
> > Definitely. That is an enormous advantage.
>
> Yes, I agree with Raahul here.

> > > New flag. I don't understand the ruleset and server parsing stuff, so
> I'll
> > > trust you. Clearly this must have been necessary.
> >
> > Does this affect human players in any way? If not, then please explain
> > that a bit more forcefully in the ruleset (ie "this is ONLY used by the
> > AI"). If it does, please explain how.
>
> This flag is for AI _information_ only.  It doesn't enable anything,
> doesn't affect any effects ;)  It only affects AI behaviour.  As such, it
> doesn't really belong to "rule"set, it's more "info"set.
>
> In general, I am toying with the idea to have an infoset for AI, an advice
> database of sorts, which would contain info like:
> 1. what to build to protect from unit_type1
> 2. what to build to attack a city defended by unittype2
> 3. what research to go for in such and such situation

I've been toying with the reserach idea. It can be split into a few sections

Wonders(techs needed for wonders)

Sort the wonders we want. Drop useless wonders like Marco Polo or UN, rate
highly the good wonders.

This might be invariant. Only a few wonders become pointless in certain
situations i.e Great library becomes less and less valuable with few players,
becomes 0 with 2 players, very little with 3.

Military - this is obvious. The quickest path to mech inf and riflemen, the
quickest path to howitzer and stealth bombers and tanks.

Production - Sanitation, aqueduct

Transport - railroad.

Overwhelming science lead - philosophy, republic, railroad, the wonder Darwins
Voyage, all the science wonders.