[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] AI can fly

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] AI can fly
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 18:11:07 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > Bad. Airports and ports are very expensive to upkeep. If the AI should start
> > building them everywhere it's going to run out of cash. Some sort of revenue
> > count thing should be done so we don't keep building improvements if we are
> > running a deficit.
>
> Suggestion: How about only building airports in cities that are not near
> water? This would limit it somewhat, and it wouldn't get in conflict with
> ship building.

interesting...
there are problems, of course, like what if the city is on an inner lake.
but that doesn't happen that often.

I was thinking more in the direction of "global air force command", which
would try to build planes not in the city that requested it but in the
city next to it that's got airport.  and also limiting number of aircraft
built at a time.  and also coordinating paratroopers building.  after all,
air warfare is something intrisicly global, much more than earlier
chariot-vs-phalanx stuff, where you can afford considering each city
independently...

> > Greg, you might want to consider using allied cities.
>
> Definitely. That is an enormous advantage.

Yes, I agree with Raahul here.

> > >  req2     = "Theory of Gravity"
> > > -flags    = "Trade_Revenue_Reduce"
> > > +flags    = "Trade_Revenue_Reduce","Build_Airborne"
> > >

> > New flag. I don't understand the ruleset and server parsing stuff, so I'll
> > trust you. Clearly this must have been necessary.
>
> Does this affect human players in any way? If not, then please explain
> that a bit more forcefully in the ruleset (ie "this is ONLY used by the
> AI"). If it does, please explain how.

This flag is for AI _information_ only.  It doesn't enable anything,
doesn't affect any effects ;)  It only affects AI behaviour.  As such, it
doesn't really belong to "rule"set, it's more "info"set.

In general, I am toying with the idea to have an infoset for AI, an advice
database of sorts, which would contain info like:
1. what to build to protect from unit_type1
2. what to build to attack a city defended by unittype2
3. what research to go for in such and such situation
etc

G.