[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] AI can fly

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] AI can fly
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 09:55:29 +0100

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 09:37:05AM +0100, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Raahul Kumar wrote:
> > Yes. If you're wasting time building UN while I'm building Hoover Dam or
> > Seti,
> > guess which one of us wins ?
>
> I think the easiest and best solution is to embed AI hints in
> buildings.ruleset, instead of trying to guess. For example
> ROLE_BEST_SEAWAR (Magellan), ROLE_BEST_LANDWAR (Great Wall),
> ROLE_BEST_PRODUCTION (Hoover Dam), ROLE_BEST_SCIENCE (Newton's),
> ROLE_BEST_HAPPINESS (Michalangelo's), etc...

If I find the time I want to implement something which shows the
effect of building. So instead of "Increases the luxury and tax output
in a city by 50%." for the marketplace I want a "If you build a
marketplace now in this city it will give -1 gold". In general
everything which effects can be measured in
food/shields/trade/gold/bulbs/happiness can be "calculated" be the
AI. Only problems are things which have a "special" effect like
Apollo, Great Library, Lighthouse.

> I think maybe it would be a good idea of the AI gave its cities
> roles. For example, it might choose the first city near more than X
> tiles of water to get over X science as a CITY_ROLE_SCIENCE, where
> it would build only defenders for the city, and science increase
> buildings. This could also be used for aircraft
> (CITY_ROLE_AIRCRAFT), as it could set aside, say, 1/10 inland cities
> and build airports and aircraft in those. Thirdly, the city that at
> any one time has the higher production might be CITY_ROLE_WONDER,
> for building all the non-science wonders that we want.

IMHO should the cities as self-sufficient and independent as possible
and only cooperate if required. So the base would be cities which are
equal and which team up to build a wonder for example. At least I will
try to model the client side after this.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "At the beginning of the week, we sealed ten BSD programmers