[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] AI can fly

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch][RFC] AI can fly
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:15:20 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> I think the easiest and best solution is to embed AI hints in
> buildings.ruleset, instead of trying to guess. For example
> ROLE_BEST_SEAWAR (Magellan), ROLE_BEST_LANDWAR (Great Wall),
> ROLE_BEST_PRODUCTION (Hoover Dam), ROLE_BEST_SCIENCE (Newton's),
> ROLE_BEST_HAPPINESS (Michalangelo's), etc...

        Perhaps I'm biased, but surely the "effect" field of each Wonder
already codifies this to a large extent? i.e. BEST_SEAWAR could be a
weighted sum of any effects with aff_unit == Sea, BEST_SCIENCE a sum of
any Science_Bonus effects, etc.

> I think that would be very hard, since generalised improvement effects
> will be very generalised eventually.

        Erm, generalised improvement effects already are "very
generalised", thanks. ;) The only effects that aren't currently
implemented are those that Freeciv doesn't use anyway. All I have to do is
hack savegames to take care of effects that survive building destruction
(Apollo) and take care of the AI[*].

[*] Yes, OK, so the AI isn't exactly trivial, but Andi Payn already has
    working code for this, so that shouldn't be enormously difficult.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have