[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Unique city names

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Miguel Farah F." <miguel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Teemu Kurppa <tkurppa@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Unique city names
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:46:14 +0000

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 09:00:46AM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 05:56:31PM -0300, Miguel Farah F. wrote:
> > That creates a problem: let's say that I'm playing the Spanish against
> > the Catalan - both city lists have "Barcelona" and "Tarragona" (and
> > others). Why should one player be allowed to use those cities and the
> > other not?
>
> In such case none of the two are allow to choose "Barcelona" or
> "Tarragona". Keep in mind that this is primary against "cheater".

I said this before, I'll say it again in case it got lost in line
noise:

If this whole unique city names thing is to stop people cheating by
'hiding' capital cities or wonder cities by changing other city names,
I don't think it will work. After all , I can try " Paris" "Paris ",
"Par`is" and many other tricks.  I can almost guarantee that one will
work.

Instead, I suggest that the information required (is this city the
capital? is there a wonder here?) be made more visible. For example,
put it after the city's name in the main view.   If that's too
intrusive (it probably is) add it to the middle button pop-up.

Jules