[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Unique city names

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Unique city names
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 12:40:11 +0100

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 10:34:45AM +0200, Teemu Kurppa wrote:
> Raimar Falke wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:20:25PM +0200, Teemu Kurppa wrote:
> > > The following small patch prevents naming two cities of one player
> > > with same name.
>
> > You may think
> > about disallowing city names on a global base. E.g. that there is only
> > one city called "Paris" and if this city is build by the Americans it
> > can't be build by the French.
>
> I thought this, but I think this can be misused by experienced players
> to gather information about other players. I.e. you play against
> Americans, you intentionally try to name your cities with American
> default city names. If other (often less experienced) player is using
> default names, you get information, how many cities he have.
>
> Anyway, my main point is that there shouldn't be so many disadvantages
> to players, who use default city names instead of obscure ones.

I think we should even be more rigid about naming/renaming, to stop
those who try to hide/achieve information with that. I suggest:

- renaming is only allowed when you found or conquer a city
- city names have at least 3 alpha chars, maximum 3 non alpha chars,
  and no numbers at all

Simply forbidding double use of a name prevents not from cyclic
renaming.

> Teemu Kurppa

Christian

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *