[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Unique city names

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: Unique city names
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:13:09 -0500

Christian Knoke (ChrisK@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

> - renaming is only allowed when you found or conquer a city

I don't like that.

> - city names have at least 3 alpha chars, maximum 3 non alpha chars,
>   and no numbers at all

Enforcing alpha chars is fine, but we need numbers too.  You can only
type in a few names before you start to run out of ideas ("New Paris",
"New New Paris").  When you run out of city names, at least *some* of
the Civ games start giving you "Paris2", "Nice2", etc.

> Simply forbidding double use of a name prevents not from cyclic
> renaming.

I'd keep it as simple as possible.  Just disallow having two cities with
the same name in the same civilization.  That's all you really need.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |