[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv feedback (was: Nice article about Freeciv in O

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv feedback (was: Nice article about Freeciv in O'Reilly Network)
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:07:59 -0500

Jason Short (vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I think, and I believe most developers agree with me, that FreeCiv has a
> much better user interface than old Civ games (certainly CivI/CivII and
> arguably SMAC).

The 3-button mouse interface probably confuses Windows users.  They're
used to edge-scrolling the screen instead of clicking a different mouse
button to "jump" to a different part of it.

> The gameplay is, AFAICT, identical.

There are a few differences, some of which are quite important.
The biggest is that Freeciv is not turn-based; the AI moves at the same
time you do (which often leads to the "double AI move" phenomenon).
The second biggest is probably the lack of AI diplomacy.  Others include
the lack of Elephants, Fundamentalism, etc.

> And FreeCiv's AI
> isn't that bad - it can certainly frustrate beginners.

Freeciv's AI is *amazing* in the early game.  But it lacks diplomacy, so
you get the impression you're just fighting a mindless computer (which,
of course, you are) instead of a rival civilization.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |