[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv feedback (was: Nice article about Freeciv in O

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeciv feedback (was: Nice article about Freeciv in O'Reilly Network)
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 14:27:16 +0000

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 06:16:21AM -0800, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Yes.  The author doesn't mean quite what he says.
> > >
> > > By 'slicker user interfaces', he means 'better graphics'.
>
> 'Better graphics". I'm playing with the civ 2 tileset. How does Civ 2
> have better graphics than Freeciv?

It doesn't.  I play with the trident tileset, and personally I think
that's much nicer than Civ 2.  But the author is comparing with SMAC
and Civ:CTP, which are jazzier.

> > > By 'better gameplay overall', he means 'better graphics and sound'.
> > >

> We have sound?

Exactly. (So SMAC and Civ:CTP have better sound, unless you think that
their sound is worse than no sound... which is a valid point of view)

If this wasn't obvious, I was being slightly sarcastic about the
original article author's comments.  But I do believe he was mistaking
graphics for UI, and also mistaking graphics for gameplay.

> > Ack. We should add some tool tips to the clients.
>
> We need an interactive tutorial kind of like what civ 2 had. It showed the
> basic stuff like founding a city, how to build the first unit and how
> to set stuff to research.

Yup.  One of those would be nice.

Jules