[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: AI cleanup Version 2

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>, Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: AI cleanup Version 2
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 15:20:44 +0100

> My job is it to verify such patches. It would make my job much easier if you
> split such patches. For example in "move comments around", "rename
> variables", "move variables around" and "add comments". The patch below it is
> still ok but I just want to show my position.
I also maintain some projects so i get it :-). However, usually maintainers
want to split into tokens patches coping with different areas of code, or
adding different features. I'm willing to give you extra patch for each [set
of] function[s], but splitting it to renaming variables and moving comments etc
will be hard. I do all the tasks at once, as I first have to reformat the code
in order to be able to read it reasonably. As I'm reformatting the code, I also
move comments, and as I read the comments, I also start to understand some of
the variables and rename them while reformating.  And as I start to understand
some variables, I start to understand the code itself and also write some
comments. It would be very difficult for me to do this tasks one-by-one, and
also very time consuming. I hope you understand my position too.

> Also note that the patch contains extra reformatting noise.
I said, definitively not a noise. AI code is not ugly only because there are
ugly and confusing variable names, confusing and strange and missing comments,
but also because the code formatting itself is a lot ugly, and that counts a
lot as well. At your advice, I gave up making really unneccessary indendation
changes, I edited the patch manually to remove all space-to-tabs-only lines,
and afaik only thing which rest was addition of some blank lines. Without them,
it is a lot confusing, at this has to be done sometimes, so let's do it now,
when we are cleaning up the code and when we still understand which logical
blocks keep together.

I hope you understand me too.

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC
Real Users hate Real Programmers.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/