[Freeciv-Dev] Re: multiplayer mode is all that counts (was: [patch] Mess

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: multiplayer mode is all that counts (was: [patch] Message windows (report, science ...))
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 12:01:01 -0500

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:35:47AM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 10:58:57AM -0500, Tony Stuckey wrote:
> >     See -- there are those of us who think that's the biggest reason to
> > remove real-time mode.
>
> Surely you're joking, Mr. Administrator?

        Sort of.  More explanation later.  I'm smart enough to realize that
it won't happen.  So don't worry on that front.

> I belong to those of us who consider real-time mode the main reason for
> Freeciv's existence.  Multiplayer mode is the only genuine innovation
> compared to Civ I and II.  It still isn't perfect, but very playable.

        There must be a reason why nobody ever references CivNet and
CivIIGold. :)

> Most issues of speed and response time only really matter in multiplayer
> mode with a timeout, when every tenth of a second counts.  Sometimes,
> a game is literally decided within a split second.

        Which bothers me.

> The overall software
> design, many features in the interface, and many code optimizations are
> specifically intended to make multiplayer mode possible.  Everything
> that reduces playability in multiplayer mode gnaws at the core of Freeciv.

        Multiplayer is entirely different than real-time.  Multiplayer
includes hotseat, network turn-based, and other paradigms.

        Fundamentally, I have a built-up hatred of games that require
reaction speed.  Genre doesn't matter.  Maybe it started in childhood, when
my little sister would beat me every time at SlapJack and other card games.
But it definitely flowered in adolescence, when I realized that the only
emotion real-time games brought was frustration.  99% of the time, I knew
what I wanted to do, what was the "right" thing to do, and I just couldn't
do it.  I fail to understand why anyone would continue to put themselves in
that situation, what possible emotional gain they get from it.  Happiness
comes from a well-executed plan, and turn-based games like Chess, AdCiv,
Darts, and PayCiv allow me to put forth my best effort, and feel enthused
at the end of the game.
        If I want real-time frustation, I play Ultimate frisbee, hockey,
football (both kinds), or other sports where people can burn me by having
better reactions, and I care less somehow.  And I'm getting good, healthy
activity out of it.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."