[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] Message windows (report, science ...)

To: FreeCiv <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] Message windows (report, science ...)
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 02:45:17 +0100 (WET DST)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Francois Taiani wrote:

> Hi Vasco,
>
> Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
> >
> > Erm,
>
> I guess you mean you're not very positive about the proposal :-)
>
> > why aren't you adding these buttons to the local options dialog instead?
>
> I don't really get you. They're not option buttons. They're supposed to
> blink when something happens, instead of splashing a window that
> unvoidably blinds you in the most critical moments of the game.

Oh. I'm sorry then. I misunderstood their function.

I guess i can see the point of this. Its a bit like those icons in Civ-CTP
with the events.
About the current way of things: like people have said before you can
simply minimize or hide the window if you don't like it.

Anyway i can see how its a good idea to have an indicator of these kinds
of events but those buttons could be smaller and/or replaced by icons
instead.

In alternative why not make things like the "please choose
the science to research next" request, and any other requests with
popups a message in the message dialog and integrate the message dialog
into the main window somehow? That would be a more generic solution IMHO.

> It's definitely true that the user should have the choice to use this
> solution, or to stick by the old gui. But before improving any further,
> I wanted to have some feedback about the patch (which is BTW already
> quite large, and that's a bad point. But well that's a only a
> "proposal"). So far Karl-Ingo and Christian reacted quite positively,
> but they were the only ones.
>
> Maybe there is simply no interest in such "click me buttons", and maybe
> the problem of hide-everything splasching windows is not an issue for
> most Freeciv users. If this is the case, I'm not really kind in
> improving my patch any further: I can use it as is, and that was the
> main point. If there is some demand though, I would be really glad to
> help wherever I can.

---