[Freeciv-Dev] Re: multiplayer mode is all that counts (was: [patch] Mess

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: multiplayer mode is all that counts (was: [patch] Message windows (report, science ...))
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:40:44 +0200

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 12:01:01PM -0500, Tony Stuckey wrote:

> > I belong to those of us who consider real-time mode the main reason for
> > Freeciv's existence.  Multiplayer mode is the only genuine innovation
> > compared to Civ I and II.  It still isn't perfect, but very playable.
>
>       There must be a reason why nobody ever references CivNet and
> CivIIGold. :)

My reason: I've never tried them out.

> > The overall software
> > design, many features in the interface, and many code optimizations are
> > specifically intended to make multiplayer mode possible.  Everything
> > that reduces playability in multiplayer mode gnaws at the core of Freeciv.
>
>       Multiplayer is entirely different than real-time.  Multiplayer
> includes hotseat, network turn-based, and other paradigms.

Yes.  A strict turn-based mode would be nice (for hotseat or play by mail).

>       Fundamentally, I have a built-up hatred of games that require
> reaction speed.

Yes, so a lot of effort has been built into Freeciv to eliminate this
as a factor - that is, today it mainly tests the speed of mind rather
than the speed of interface atrocity circumvention.

> But it definitely flowered in adolescence, when I realized that the only
> emotion real-time games brought was frustration.  99% of the time, I knew
> what I wanted to do, what was the "right" thing to do, and I just couldn't
> do it.

Exactly.  I am at that level of frustration, but usually I can't blame
the Freeciv interface most of the time, I have to blame myself.  This
is why Freeciv's multiplayer mode is a serious accomplishment, although
it could be improved.

> I fail to understand why anyone would continue to put themselves in
> that situation, what possible emotional gain they get from it.  Happiness
> comes from a well-executed plan, and turn-based games like Chess, AdCiv,
> Darts, and PayCiv allow me to put forth my best effort, and feel enthused
> at the end of the game.

This largely rules out surprise as an ingredient.  Plus, the sheer
length of the average Freeciv game makes out turn-based, non-timeout
multiplayer mode over the Internet practically unfeasible.

>       If I want real-time frustation, I play Ultimate frisbee, hockey,
> football (both kinds), or other sports where people can burn me by having
> better reactions, and I care less somehow.  And I'm getting good, healthy
> activity out of it.

Freeciv's multiplayer mode with timeout allows you to combine the two:
quick thinking and quick action at the same time.

--
Reinier