[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] Message windows (report, science ...)

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [patch] Message windows (report, science ...)
From: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:47:28 +0200

Am Dienstag, 11. September 2001 20:00 schrieb Francois Taiani:
> Hi Vasco,
>
> Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
> > Erm,
>
> I guess you mean you're not very positive about the proposal :-)
>
> > why aren't you adding these buttons to the local options dialog
> > instead?
>
> I don't really get you. They're not option buttons. They're supposed
> to blink when something happens, instead of splashing a window that
> unvoidably blinds you in the most critical moments of the game.
>
> It's definitely true that the user should have the choice to use this
> solution, or to stick by the old gui. But before improving any

I guess that's what Vasco meant to say.

I can think of two possibilities: put it in "Local options" or put
a checkbox "no popup" into the reports.

> further, I wanted to have some feedback about the patch (which is BTW
> already quite large, and that's a bad point. But well that's a only a
> "proposal"). So far Karl-Ingo and Christian reacted quite positively,
> but they were the only ones.

Don't expect too much. There are not so many gamers on freeciv-dev,
most guys do really serious work for the game and don't have time
to play ;)

> Maybe there is simply no interest in such "click me buttons", and
> maybe the problem of hide-everything splasching windows is not an
> issue for most Freeciv users. If this is the case, I'm not really
> kind in improving my patch any further: I can use it as is, and that
> was the main point. If there is some demand though, I would be really
> glad to help wherever I can.

There *is* interest. Just yesterday I was annoyed again buy these
popups, trying to eleminate the mongols off the world cylinder.

Alas, I wasn't able to apply your patch cleanly to current cvs.
And the option thing is important of course.

But, hey, what do people think about the GUI modification
tis patch does? The chat area is reduced, but I think it's okay
even with 800 x 600.

> Cheers
>
> Francois
>
> > > should have been fixed. A new snapshot of the gui layout is
> > > available at
> > > ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/info_button_2.png.

Christian

--
* Christian Knoke                           +49 4852 92248 *
* D-25541 Brunsbuettel                  Wurtleutetweute 49 *