[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Slashdot gripes

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Slashdot gripes
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:49:14 +0200

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 10:32:24PM -0400, Miguel Farah F. wrote:
>  Arien Malec [10/09/2001 15:25] dijo/said:
> >
> >On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Trent Piepho wrote:
> >
> >> Did you check slashdot when the last release from freeciv was announced.
> >> There were quite a few people who complained about how the latest version
> >> sucked and was worse than previous ones.  The ugly isometric mode was the
> >> biggest complaint, but speed was there too.
> >
> >Here's the thread:
> >
> >http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/08/10/1614252&mode=thread
> >
> >I don't see being slow in there, but it might be buried in some low rated
> >comments?

Trent is exaggerating, but the comments weren't very favourable.
Someone did remark that the isometric mode was ugly - I think
the default mode should be trident or tinydent for the next release.
What disappointed me most at the *lack* of comments.

> >Constructive comments were evenly split between:
> >
> >Poor usability (NOT confined to ugly isometric mode)
>
> Sadly, it's true in several aspects.

Can you  - as opposed to the Slashdot posters -  be more specific?
I can list a few usability problems of my own, but they are minor.
Some quirks that can be blamed more on the documentation than
on the interface itself.  E.g. the fact that the message window
keeps popping up in front if you close it, but won't if you
iconize or hide it.

> >Not inventive enough.
>
> I think there is one way to solve this problem: what if Freeciv
> (besides Civ1 and Civ2 modes) has a mode of its own?

It does, but the Freeciv mode is "Civ II with bugfixes".

--
Reinier