[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Profiles from huge game

To: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Sebastian Bauer <sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Profiles from huge game
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 04:07:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Ben Webb wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Trent Piepho wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Ben Webb wrote:
> > > I suspect the main problem with the client is that all effects
> > > for all cities are updated every time a city packet is received. It is
> >
> > Do this means at the end of the turn, when a city packet for all cities is
> > sent, that each city is recalculated each time.
>
> The effects for each city are recalculated each time, yes.
>
> > So you have made an O(n) algorithm into an O(n^2) algorithm?
>
>       No; I have created an O(n^2) algorithm where no such algorithm
> existed before. Obviously it would be nicer to make this an O(n)
> algorithm, but that will take more time to do.

It seems that for each improvement you could make a list of improvements that
it effects.  Since most improvements don't effect any others, there will be no
need to check.  It also seems like the client doesn't need to do this, if an
improvement has a side effect to other cities, the server will send city info
packets to tell the client about this.

> > I suppose that when a city packet is received the client will update
> > each city's graphic and line in the city list too.
>
> Nope. The code only updates the effects. All other behaviour is untouched.

If the city's properties change because of an improvement in another city, then
don't you have to update the client reports to reflect this?

> > I can't believe a patch like this went in.
>
>       I guess you should have complained about it at some point between
> April and now, then, since the patch has been available for review since
> then. As for CVS commit privileges, I have none.

I wasn't paying as much attention in April.

> > You might as well just go and announce that freeciv is not a game, it is
> > a place for people to try and get their game ideas into someone elses
> > code.
>
>       Not my idea. See http://www.freeciv.org/roadmap.html, in
> particular "Make rulesets for Improvements more flexible" and "Further
> game styles: Civ:TOT, Civ:CTP, SMAC/Civ 3..." There are more than a few
> comments in the code stating that this kind of thing is needed, too...

The roadmap is created by the people who turned freeciv from a game into a
research project.