[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Request ids (PR#940)

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] Request ids (PR#940)
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 03:59:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> This patch implements request ids (formerly knows as serial
> numbers). Every client->server packet is called request. The client
> will put a uint16 (the request id) after the bytes of the normal

Why do you need to send the ID?  If the first request from the client has the
id 0, then second has id 1, and so on, then there is no reason that the server
has to be told this.

You're patch increases the move unit packet from 7 bytes to 9, that's 29%.

For the server, it's even worse.  You don't do any buffering, so when a unit
moves the server will end up sending 3 TCP/IP packets instead of just 1.

The unit info packet already has a serial number in it.  I wonder what it's
used for?  I noticed that this packet has increased from 17 bytes when I made
it to 29 bytes.  Obviously other people don't play over a modem either.  Am I
the only one who has heard the word "bloat" before?

> This patch also benefits the human user because the client can now
> detect a user action which caused no reaction of the server.

Except it doesn't because nothing happens.

BTW, "input_from_server_till_request_got_processed", is no function name too
long for you?